Expert Care for Women
The Gynecologic Oncology Program at Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center - Washington Township provides comprehensive gynecologic care for women who have been diagnosed with malignant and premalignant conditions of the reproductive organs including the cervix, ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes, vagina and vulva.
Our approach translates to excellent coordination of your care from screening and diagnosis to treatment and follow-up care.
For more information on gynecologic oncology, please call 856-557-5400.
Why Choose Jefferson Gynecologic Services in New Jersey
Our team including medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists and radiologists are dedicated to providing comprehensive – yet highly specialized – treatment for all types and stages of gynecologic (GYN) cancer, including:
- Early and advanced stage cancer
- Metastatic cancer
- Recurrent or refractory disease
- GYN cancer during pregnancy
- GYN cancers in women of all ages
- Rare GYN tumors
Our specially-trained support team, including nurse practitioners, oncology nurses, social workers, therapists and technologists, help make sure you receive personalized and coordinated care.
Advantages to Choosing Jefferson for GYN Oncology Care and Treatment in New Jersey
Here are a few reasons why Jefferson may be right for you:
- Experienced, Fellowship-trained Multidisciplinary GYN Oncology Team
- Advanced radiation therapies which decrease side effects of treatment by targeting only areas that need to be treated
- Precision medicine and advanced GYN cancer treatments including, targeted therapies, molecular and genomic testing
- Experts in treating women with rare GYN cancers, including uterine sarcomas, Paget’s disease, germ cell tumor, gestational trophoblastic disease and adenosarcomas
- Nationally recognized research program with clinical trials featuring new targeted agents
- Expertise in surgical cytoreduction and debulking for ovarian cancer
- Minimally invasive surgery options including DaVinci robotic surgery for endometrial or cervical cancer staging
- Ability to perform sentinel lymph node mapping in vulvar, cervical and endometrial cancers
- Fertility-sparing surgeries such as radical trachelectomies for early stage cervical cancer
- Genetic counseling for women at risk of ovarian cancer
- Experienced oncology nurses available to help answer questions, arrange appointments with specialists and assist with developing your personalized treatment plan
- Oncology Social Worker to assist with the psychosocial impact of cancer treatment and provide valuable resources for care
- Services within Integrative Medicine and Cancer Educational and Patient Support Programs are available
- Renowned Fertility Program
- Dedicated professionals in Lymphedema and Cancer Rehabilitation
- Compassionate Palliative Care Service
Procedures Performed by Dr. Robin Wilson-Smith
Below are a list of gynecologic oncology procedures performed by Dr. Wilson-Smith:
- Robotic Hysterectomy/ TAH BSO
- Hysterectomy (Open)
- Radical Hysterectomy
- Lymph node dissection
- Infusion Port Placement
- Leep/Cold knife cone
- Cystoscopy with Hysterectomy
- Dilation and Curettage
- Smit Sleeve placement
- Vulva Biopsy
- Vaginal Biopsy
- Cervical Biopsy
- Pelvic exenteration
Gynecologic Oncology Team
Medical Director of Gynecologic Oncology Services
A 1999 graduate of Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ-SOM), Dr. Wilson-Smith completed her OB/GYN Residency at Philadelphia’s Albert Einstein Medical Center, and at Cooper University Hospital. She then completed a three-year Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship at Cooper in 2009. As a gynecologic oncologist, Dr. Wilson-Smith specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of cancers of the female reproductive system, including cervical, vulvar, vaginal, ovarian and uterine cancers.
As of 2021, Dr. Wilson-Smith has performed more than 1,000 da Vinci™ robotic surgical procedures. Robotic surgery, often used for gynecologic procedures, can result in a quicker recovery time for patients, along with reduced post-operative pain and less scarring.
Board certified in OB/GYN and Gynecologic Oncology through the American Osteopathic Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, this South Jersey native/resident, is a member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists. In 2021, she was named one of South Jersey Biz magazine’s “Women to Watch.”
The married mother of four children, including a set of triplets, Dr. Wilson-Smith is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., a nonprofit organization focused on community service, and she supports the South Jersey and Central Jersey chapters of the Buffalo Soldiers, a community-focused organization that annually holds a “Divas for a Cure” breast cancer fundraising drive.
Ashley Ferris specializes in GYN/Oncology and Obstetrics/Gynecology. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Cytotechnology and Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Jefferson University. She also earned her Master of Science in Nursing from Rutgers University.