We're Here For You
A cancer diagnosis can be a life changing experience for patients and loved ones. We offer many support services to help navigate patients and their families during cancer treatment - and beyond.
What We Do
Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center – Washington Township’s Navigation Team includes Oncology- Certified Nurse Navigators and an Oncology-Certified Social Worker who provide patients with a specialized level of service to address both medical and non-medical needs. Our Nurse Navigators answer clinical questions about a patient’s diagnosis as well as coordinate medical care to facilitate treatment. Our Social Worker educates patients and families about support services offered at the Center and in the community, while easing anxieties. Together, our navigation team provides education, support, and assistance for people and their families facing a cancer diagnosis.
The cancer navigation team will:
- Coordinate diagnostic testing and physician appointments
- Assist with patient referrals
- Help patients/families keep track of medical appointments and get answers to questions about their care
- Assist in gathering medical records, including imaging and pathology reports
- Advise patients and families about what to expect during their doctors’ visits and cancer treatment
- Explain employment rights and leaves of absence
- Coordinate care between all the patients’ physicians, including services needed at the NCI-designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center in Philadelphia
- Direct patients to local resources and support services, including our “Hope & Healing” programs (Well-Being Yoga, art workshops, etc.) and those offered at the Center by the American Cancer Society
- Coordinate various support groups
- Assist patients in applying for financial assistance, when appropriate
- Assist in making arrangements for patient transportation, when/if needed
- Help patients/families understand health insurance coverage
- Help with accessing Disability and Social Security benefits, when needed.
Support Groups and More
As part of its navigation services, the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center provides free smoking cessation groups and one-to-one counseling for those interested in getting help to quit smoking. Counseling is provided by a Nationally Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist, who is also an Oncology Certified Nurse Navigator. Along with other therapies (e.g., medications), counseling can increase one’s chances of quitting. Support groups are offered twice a month. Individual counseling is also available by appointment, which includes a “quit plan,” resources, and ways to help identify and manage “triggers.”
The Fighting Men-Fighting Cancer Prostate Support Group meets once a month for prostate cancer survivors in the community, led by survivor Joseph A. Musumeci. Professionals and patients share their experiences with the disease, treatments, outcomes, and side effects.
Support groups are currently being held virtually, in compliance with COVID-19 safety protocols.
Meet the Team
Abigale Hassel, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C
Abigale Hassel, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C, has worked in the field of Oncology Social Work for nearly 10 years. A Licensed Clinical Social worker, Abigale holds a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's degree in social work (MSW) from Rutgers University. An Oncology Certified Social Worker, she is a member of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) and the Association of Oncology Social Work (AOSW).
Christine Miller, BSN, RN, OCN, CHTC
Christine Miller, BSN, RN, OCN, CHTC, is an Oncology-Certified Nurse and Certified Hematopoietic Transplant Coordinator. A Rutgers University School of Nursing graduate, Christine has more than 25 years of oncology nursing experience. She is a member of the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS), Academy of Oncology Nurse Navigators (AONN), and the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SOCRA). She is an active volunteer with Be The Match registry for the National Marrow Donor Program.
Sandy Murray, BSN, RN, OCN, ONN-CG, NCTTP, CTTS
Sandra Murray, BSN, RN, OCN, ONN-CG, NCTTP, CTTS, received her BSN from Wilmington University, Delaware. She is an Oncology Certified Nurse, an Oncology Nurse Navigator Certified Generalist, as well as a Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (CTTS). A member of the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) and the Academy of Oncology Nurse Navigators (AONN), Sandy has over 25 years of oncology nursing experience. She is involved with the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center – Washington Township’s Lung Nodule Center, providing support and guidance to individuals diagnosed with lung nodules. As a CTTS, Sandy assists smokers to become tobacco-free.
Susan Saporito, RN, BSN, OCN
Sue Saporito, RN, BSN, OCN, is an Oncology Certified Nurse and a graduate of the Vanderbilt University School of Nursing in Nashville, TN. Sue has more than 30 years of nursing experience, including 16 years in the field of Oncology. She is a member of the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) and the Academy of Oncology Nurse Navigators (AONN). Sue also oversees the Breast Cancer Survivors Support Group at the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center – Washington Township.