Bariatric Pre-Op Class
This 2-hour mandatory class provides an overview of what to expect and education on the critical role of the patient for success.
- preparation two weeks prior to surgery
- setting expectations the day of surgery, during hospital stay, and discharge
- surgical procedures
- how to care for self after surgery
- complications and prevention of complications
- post-op signs and symptoms
- side effects
Click HERE to view class dates and additional information.
Bariatric Support Groups, Programs & Fitness Classes
*During COVID-19, please consider joining us for our virtual support groups, linked below. In-person support groups and fitness classes are currently not being held.
Whether you're considering bariatric surgery or you're adjusting to diet and lifestyle changes after your procedure, you should know that a strong support system is one of the most important keys to achieving your weight-loss goals and improving your health. That's why the Jefferson Bariatric Surgery Program in New Jersey is dedicated to providing you with the right information and resources to get the support you need.
Bariatric support groups are available twice a month:
Every 2nd Tuesday, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Jefferson Stratford Hospital
18 E. Laurel Road • 3rd Floor Large Conference Room
Every 4th Tuesday, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Kennedy Fitness & Wellness Center – Sewell
405 Hurffville-Cross Keys Road • 2nd Floor Conference Room
If you're interested, click below to search for upcoming classes in your area, or call 856-346-6470 for more information.
Organizations, Support & Research
- Obesity Society—A professional organization dedicated to educating the public about obesity, helping healthcare professional provide the best care for people with obesity, and preventing obesity in children as well as adults.
- American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery— A professional society that provides educational and support programs for surgeons and allied health professionals.
- LapBand.com—A resource for more information about the FDA-approved BioEnterics® LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System.
- National Institutes of Health—An authoritative government resource on obesity and most other health conditions.
- ObesityHelp™—An online hub of information on obesity and bariatric surgery.
- ObesityHelp™ Magazine—A magazine dedicated to the concerns and issues of people with obesity.
- ObesityHelp™ Store—The place to go for everything from inspirational T-shirts to educational literature on obesity and bariatric surgery.
- Obesity Law and Advocacy Center—An advocacy law practice dedicating to representing people with obesity that offers tips on how to expedite the health insurance approval process for bariatric surgery.
Please note that these links are provided only for your convenience. Jefferson University Hospital does not control, and is not responsible for, the content on these Web sites.
Dr. Neff's Bariatric Blog
- Haters Gonna Hate, Hate, Hate
- Control Emotional Eating After Weight-Loss Surgery
- Returning to Work After Weight-Loss Surgery
- The Rise of Childhood Obesity in America
- Which Weight-Loss Surgery is Best for Me?
- Experience Summer Post-Bariatric Surgery
- Can't Get to the Gym? Work Out in Your Office!
- Why Go To Bariatric Support Groups?
- Lifestyle Changes are Crucial to Weight-Loss Success
- Treat Obese Diabetics With Surgery - MedPage Today article.