Meet Our ACE Team
The Jefferson Health ACE Unit offers an interdisciplinary team approach to the care of elderly patients. Our team of healthcare professionals include:
- Geriatric Nurse Practitioners
- Geriatric Trained Nurses and Nursing Assistants
- Specially Trained Pharmacists
- Home Care Nurses
- Case Mangers
- Social Workers
- Physical, Occupational and Speech & Swallow Therapists
Working Together Towards Common Goals
The main goal is to help our older patients return to a productive, meaningful life as quickly as possible by working collaboratively to help achieve common goals, including:
- Maintain optimum functioning of each patient's mind and body
- Ensure care in a setting that provides dignity and comfort
- Provide simple admission/discharge processes
- Minimize stress related to being hospitalized
- Reduce re-admissions
- Provide clear, constant communication to patients and their loved ones
- Present all relevant medical options
- Provide clear follow-up and a treatment plan upon discharge
- Assist in the safe return to their home or living facility
Specialized Services Designed for the Elderly
Jefferson Health, in conjunction with Rowan-SOM, formerly UMDNJ-SOM, offers several services to meet the specialized needs of our elderly population. Most services can be utilized by self-referrals.
- Our Emergency Department nurses have GENE training (Geriatric Emergency Nursing Education) through the Emergency Nurses Association making them ideal for assisting our older adults.
- The Balance Center helps with diagnosis and treatment of balance disorders that can affect the quality of life for seniors.
- The Sleep Center offers comfortable, modern facilities with the most advanced technology available to diagnose sleep apnea, narcolepsy, insomnia, and other sleep disorders.
- Physical and Occupational Therapy provides the highest quality rehabilitative therapy to for in-patients and those needing outpatient treatment.
- Jefferson Diabetes Control Centers provide outpatient training in diabetes care and self-management using the expertise of an experienced and highly trained healthcare staff comprised of Certified Diabetes Educators, Registered Nurses, and Registered Dietitians.
- Jefferson Nutrition Education Center offers individual and group sessions delivered by highly skilled and specially trained Registered Dietitians that can address issues particular to the elderly.
- Jefferson Health Care provides a multidisciplinary team of registered nurses, therapists, and aides to provide comprehensive, safe and effective care where patients feel best—in their homes.
- Center for Wound Healing uses proven wound care practices and advanced clinical approaches, including Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, to help patients who suffer from chronic wounds.
Jefferson Stratford Hospital is one of only 450 hospitals and healthcare facilities throughout North America to have received NICHE (Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders) designation. This designation from the leading nurse-driven program underscores our commitment to elder care excellence and recognizes our dedication to providing patient-centered care for older adults through our 12-bed ACE Unit.
Jefferson Health shares in the ideals upon which NICHE is based. Its vision is for all patients 65-and-over to be given sensitive and exemplary care by providing principles and tools to stimulate a change in the culture of healthcare facilities to achieve patient-centered care for older adults. NICHE designation demonstrates a hospital's organizational commitment and continued progress in improving quality, enhancing the patient and family experience, and supporting the hospital's efforts to serve their communities.