Recipes for Summer Sustenance: Grilled Jersey Peach Bruschetta
- Sara Madden, RDN
Peaches are finally in season! Did you know that all Jersey peaches are picked by hand and that New Jersey ranks 4th nationally for peach production, after California, South Carolina & Georgia? With 80 orchards throughout our state, there is no reason not to try out this “Jersey fresh” recipe. Not only are peaches delicious, they are packed with health-promoting vitamins and minerals. Time to fire up the grill and taste how sweet Jersey can be.
- 1 whole grain baguette; sliced into rounds
- 1 cup of part- skim ricotta cheese
- 4 Jersey peaches; halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Handful of mint or basil leaves
Make the balsamic reduction -
- Pour the balsamic vinegar into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer until the vinegar reduces by half and is a thicker consistency.
- Remove from the heat and set aside until serving.
Make the bruschetta -
- Fire up the grill.
- Brush the baguette and peaches with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the sliced baguette and peaches (flesh side down) on the grill (does not require direct heat).
- Rotate the baguette once toasty.
- Rotate the peaches once the flesh gets a good char on it (3-5 minutes, depending).
- Remove the toasted baguette from the grill, then the peaches.
- Slice the peaches as they cool.
- Smear the ricotta cheese on the baguette.
- Top the cheese with the peach slices.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Top with fresh mint or basil leaves.
- Repeat until every slice of baguette has been prepared.