Recipes for Summer Sustenance: Feta & Chickpea Salad
Easy to make and bursting with flavor, this salad is the perfect side dish or lunch salad to prepare ahead of time for the work week. The salad will hold up for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator, keeping the romaine greens seperate, so they don't become soggy. Not only do chickpeas provide long-lasting energy, but they also provide 5 grams of protein!
Prep Time: 20 Mins.
Yield: Serves 4, serving size: about 3 cups
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cucumber slices cut into halves
- 16 pitted kalamata olives (about 2 oz.)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, grated or crumbled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, grated
1. In a large bowl mix together the onion, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and cheese slices. Put to the side.
2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, pepper, salt, and garlic in a small bowl. Dress the chickpea mixture in the bowl with dressing and mix gently.
3. In a separate serving bowl place a handful of lettuce in the bowl and spoon a serving of chickpea salad onto the greens and enjoy.
- Danielle Hall, RDN