Recipes for Summer Sustenance: Chickpea Salad
Are you looking for a healthy and delicious side dish that can "wow" your guests at your next summer cookout? Look no further. This simple, easy-to-make, chickpea salad is packed with flavor, fiber, healthy unsaturated fats, and various vitamins and minerals. It's sure to be a fan favorite at any occasion!
Serving Size: 1/3 Cup.
Recipe Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine salt
- 2 cups of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of extra version olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- black pepper to taste
- Chop the tomato, cucumber, red onion, and basil and add to large bowl.
- Add chickpeas to large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the ingredients until smooth.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss ingredients in bowl.
- For best flavor, allow to sit overnight in vinaigrette so that the chickpea salad can absorb the flavor of the vinaigrette.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Carbohydrates: 15 grams
Fat: 10 grams
Protein: 4 grams
- Lauren Falcone, RD, Jefferson Health in New Jersey