2019 Facts, Figures & Achievements
To see facts, figures and achievements from each New Jersey hospital campus, please download the campus fliers below.
Jefferson Health (NJ) History
Jefferson Health in New Jersey began in 1965 as a single, 99-bed facility, called John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital, in Stratford, NJ.
Here are some highlights of our history:
- In 1977, then-Kennedy became affiliated with the University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey. Jefferson Health (NJ) is now the Primary teaching affiliate of Rowan University-School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM), formerly UMDNJ-SOM.
- In 1980, then-Kennedy became a multi-hospital system with the purchase of the Cherry Hill Medical Center (which opened in 1960) and Washington Memorial Hospital (which opened in 1972). The hospitals names changed to Jefferson in 2017.
- The Kennedy Health Care Foundation was created in 1983, and during the next two years, several subsidiary organizations - including STAT Medical Transport, Kennedy Property Corporation, and Kennedy Health Facilities – were established (In early 2019, the Foundation's name changed to the Jefferson Health Foundation - New Jersey).
- In 1998, a free-standing outpatient Dialysis Center on the Washington Township campus opened. A second new Dialysis Center, in Voorhees, opened in early 2003.
- In 2001, a Ronald McDonald House Pediatric Unit opened in Washington Township
- In the spring of 2002, the new $21-million Cancer Center/Outpatient Medical Imaging Center opened in Washington Township.
- In February 2003, a new $23.4-million Emergency Department opened in Washington Township.
- In September 2006, an in-hospital hospice unit at Jefferson Stratford Hospital opened.
- Coinciding with its 45th birthday, the Stratford hospital was re-dedicated at a special event in June 2010, following a $25-million façade project.
- In March 2011, the Kennedy Health Alliance – a patient-friendly network of primary and specialty care offices – was launched. Today, there are dozens of medical practices throughout southern New Jersey and its name is now Jefferson Primary & Specialty Care.
- In November 2011, a new Neuroscience Center, offering neurosurgery, opened at the Washington Township Hospital.
- In 2015, ground was broken for the $65-million Phase I campus revitalization at Kennedy – Cherry Hill. The overall $200-plus million project includes a new medical office building, enclosing parking facility and new hospital atrium lobby. Phase 1 was completed in 2017. Phase II, currently underway, will feature a new inpatient pavilion with all-private rooms, and is slated for completion in 2020.
- In January 2016, Kennedy Health and Jefferson signed a Letter of Intent announcing a planned merger that was completed in Fall 2017. The Kennedy hospitals became: Jefferson Cherry Hill Hospital, Jefferson Stratford Hospital and Jefferson Washington Township Hospital.
- In February 2016, Kennedy launched its 3D mammography program at the Jefferson Health Outpatient Medical Imaging Center, an ACR-accredited “Breast Screening Center of Excellence.”
- In summer 2016, then-Kennedy was named a national “Sepsis Hero” by the Sepsis Alliance for its life-saving program.
- In January 2018, the Kennedy Cancer Center was renamed the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center – Washington Township.
- In January 2018, a new Surgery Center opened at Jefferson Cherry Hill Hospital.
- In February 2018, Kennedy Home Health Care was renamed Jefferson Home Care.
- In Spring 2018, ground was broken for the $200-mil expansion of Jefferson Washington Township Hospital. Phase 1, a new enclosed parking facility, will open in Spring 2019. Work began in 2019 on a new patient tower with all-private rooms.
- In Spring 2018, Jefferson (NJ) was named at Top Workplace by Philly.com for the 5th consecutive year, based on employee feedback.
- In August 2018, Jefferson became the first hospital system in Camden and Gloucester counties to receive Magnet® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, in recognition of its nursing excellence.
- In October 2018, the Durante Family Pavilion was dedicated at the Washington Township Emergency Department. In November 2018, a Reflection Pool at Jefferson Cherry Hill Hospital was dedicated t Board Chairman Albert E. Smith. That same month, the Barsky Family Surgical Suite was dedicated at Jefferson Washington Township Hospital.
- In January 2019, Jefferson New Jersey President Joseph W. Devine was installed as Chairman of Board of the New Jersey Hospital Association (NJHA). Chief Patient Safety & Quality Officer, Dr. David Condoluci, received the NJHA’s Distinguished Service Award at its 100th annual meeting.